Farm girls get into the act too.
It was always a hard chore to get the baled hay off the fields and into a stack so the new hay could grow. This meant that each bale had to be lifted onto a truck or wagon or sled to be taken to the stack ,Hopefully I could make a sale of the hay in the field relieving myself of the most dreaded work of hauling baled hay.
On this day, I asked Cynthia to drive the truck--which was my army rig made into a farm truck. It had very slow gears and could crawl which is the right speed for picking up bales of hay.
I had a bale pickup attached to the truck bed.The truck had to be driven accurately to straddle a bale and elevate it to the level of the truck bed and higher as needed. I instructed Cynthia how to drive. Take into consideration that she was just not even a teenager at the time. Hardly tall enough to look out over the steering wheel. As the stack on the truck grew taller it was harder to yell down the steering directions: go left go right--- so she wouldn't miss an opportunity to lift a bale. Thus it was more hazardous too to jump off if I had to take control of the truck. The field was large enough so that there was no real need for drastic maneuvering. Cynthia was able every time to drive the truck so as to pick up the bale without busting it. Breaking a bale was a waste of money.
So Cynthia qualified as a farm laborer and didn't get paid an iota--that is --no money.
The girls also were required to thin apples and to weed beans. THey also worked off the farm for other farmers. Get them to tell about picking Currents and picking asparagus. They know the drugery of farm work and the pay scale.
The other girls also did work in a similar manner. That's farm life.
Friday, July 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I do remember steering that army truck up and down. We were a good team.
Post a Comment